Monday 14 October 2013

Shetland Textiles: 800 BC to the Present

Just bought this beautiful book : SHETLAND TEXTILES, 800 BC to the present. Edited by Sarah Laurenson.
I love this because I make Shetland Lace shawls, and it's wonderful to have such a  comprehensive  history of Shetland textiles.



It 'does what it says on the tin' - a comprehensive history of textiles in Shetland from the earliest times to the present day. There are chapters dealing with Shetland Sheep and Wool, with Fair Isle Knitting  and Shetland Lace. I am reproducing here some images from the book - (I don't THINK I am breaching any copyright laws here, since they are mainly images in the public domain that I have seen before).






This is a well-known image of Shetland knitters - I don't have a date for this, but it must  be early in the 20th century, perhaps before the First World War. I have made shawls similar to the one being knitted by the woman in the foreground.


Shetland Lace Shawls drying.



Finally, some Shetland sheep.



No comments:

Post a Comment